Sunday, January 29, 2006

"Messy, quarrelsome, aggressive, and noisy"

Eugene Schieffelin, a wealthy drug manufacturer and theatre aficionado, brought European starlings (Sturnus vulgaris) to New York City as part of his attempt to introduce every bird mentioned the works of Shakespeare into the United States. Shakespeare’s sole reference to the European starling appears in King Henry IV.

"“The king forbade my tongue to speak of Mortimer. But I will find him when he is asleep, and in his ear I’ll holler ‘Mortimer!’ Nay I’ll have a starling shall be taught to speak nothing but Mortimer, and give it to him to keep his anger still in motion.”

"Starlings are messy, quarrelsome, aggressive, and noisy. They gather by the thousands in their winter roosts and in the Spring nest in cavities to produce 2-3 broods."

Smokers are messy, quarrelsome, agressive, and noisy. They gather by the thousands in their winter haunts, and in the spring smoking season rest on benches and patios, brooding and intemperate.

In setting policy, Eugene Schiellifin and 10,000 Elvis fans can't be wrong. King Thune would forbid my tongue to speak of Elvis. But I will find him when he is asleep and in his ear I'll holler, 'Elvis!' Nay, I'll have a smoker shall be taught to speak nothing but Elvis, and give it to him to keep his anger still in motion.

No comments: