Friday, October 12, 2007

Nobel Peace Prize Winners, 1901-2006

The list of winners is here. (One winner, Fridtjof Nansen, I'd heard of for the first time.) My cursory glance showed many prizes given to representatives from or for organizations with talking skills, advocates for this, or proposals for that. I may be wrong to presume ineptness. Maybe the League of Nations was terrific. Or the 1927 Kellogg-Briand pact winners, the "TREATY PROVIDING FOR THE RENUNCIATION OF WAR AS AN INSTRUMENT OF NATIONAL POLICY ", spectucularly successful. I notice there was no Great War after the Great War, well, at least until 1939. They meant well. I suggest the Peace Prize be renamed as the "We Hope This Will Work This Time" Prize. Of the integrity of Albert Schwweitzer, Norman Borlaug , Mother Teresa, Lech Walesa or Elie Wiesel, I have no doubts. But for "as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me", no prize is needed.

No comments: